pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-17 20:25:07

Anastasia
Name: Array Array

Tabanus nigrovittatus

Sorry I am not a Dipterist, I am the owner of a piece of land in Greece that is deeply buried in agricultural land with no houses about it.

It has become infested with Horse Flies, which from my amateur looking on websites looks, with its big green eyes and size and its ferocious bite to be Tabanus nigrovittatus.

Also on the land are Mosquitos almost equal in size to the above Female Furies from Hades.

What predates on Tabanus nigrovittatus in the bird kingdom and how can I make my land a better habitat for these predators, please?

Do swallows eat large mosquitos? If so, how can I make my land a better nesting site for them, please?

One sure way to protect myself from bites and because of my isolated land was to put a thick layer of Amber Solaire sun cream on my legs which protected any flesh that came loose from trousers and socks. Strangely even without sun cream my sunburnt arms were not attacked.

What is the best trap to kill Tabanus and mosquitos and yet leave benight other insects alone, please?

I have 'trained' the Tabanus nigrovittatus to come on command now, even if I am kitting up with long sleeved blouse, trousers and long socks over the top, at the main road above this most hidden part of Greece.

Anyone wanting to study these beasts from hell are welcome to come at their peril and own risk and must wear protective gear. I might be in Greece this July and must risk a briefest visit to my land to put on yet another garden ornament to show I am still an owner and doing something. It is unlivable at this time due to the infestation.

The land must have static water about it and might be close to a salt marsh for all I know (there must be brackish water as it is so close to the sea, but I could not afford a sea view).

Help.
Thank you.

#2 2009-03-18 17:41:24

Mark
DF Members
Name: Mark Mitchell

Re: Tabanus nigrovittatus

There is a trap for Tabanids available in the US call the  "Horse Pal biting fly trap" http://bitingflies.com. I believe these have been effective at reducing Horse Fly number to an acceptable level (if their is such a thing) on some US golf courses? I am sure it wouldn't be impossible to make you own version?

It would be interesting to hear if European Tabanidae are a gullible as their US cousins?

P. S. you should have posted this under "Larger Brachycera"

#3 2009-03-18 23:38:23

conopid
DF Members
Name: Nigel Jones
Website

There are some instructions for making a trap here: http://alamance.ces.ncsu.edu/files/libr … D_Trap.pdf

PS your flies will be a different species - nigrovittatus appears to be a North American species, but these "manitoba traps" should work for most Tabanus species.

Good luck.

Nigel Jones
Shropshire

#4 2009-03-19 04:10:32

Anastasia
Name: Array Array

I have placed my post in the correct specimen forum as informed.

I will tell my friend who is a local farmer about the traps as he is also a builder so should be able to put something together similar.

Thank you very much for all your assistance.

I failed to remember to say how I did not get any infections from being chewed on both legs from top to bottom upon the attack. I walked into the sea which was cold at the time and the sea salt seem to both cauterize the many large wounds (about the dot of a pen on a page in size) but also aided in infection control. This was only possible as I knew that isolated beach had no sewerage outfall or any occupation bringing litter. I walked in and out quickly, wading in waist deep. Pretty risky I know from shark or small fish attack. I made it. Not recommended. But it worked. But I also did a full scrub wash shower and put anti-bacterial creams on all wounds I could find, being alone. But being stiff upper lip English I went back to the land a few days later, once the wounds had time to heal and with proper clothing cover. I have noticed they will not stay in my car when trapped or inside a garden ornament little 'house' being dark and enclosed.

Board footer