pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-23 23:22:04

Jason G
Name: Jason Green
Website

[ID] Black-yellow Fly, Stratiomyid or Syrphid?

Hi all,

I saw this attractive fly today, but it looks like both both a hover and soldier fly. I'm just a bit confused.

Help please!

Uploaded Images

#2 2009-06-23 23:42:13

malcolmsmart
Committee
Name: Malcolm Smart

Re: [ID] Black-yellow Fly, Stratiomyid or Syrphid?

Its neither, its a Xylomyid - Solva marginata. Stubbs & Drake describe it a rather drab species but I think that it's a very attractive little fly. It seems to be associated with poplars.
Regards, Malcolm

#3 2009-06-23 23:49:36

Jason G
Website

Really? That's yet another new family for me... I've now seen reps from 35 dipterate families. Drab? Nah!!

Thanks for the quick reponse, it's a great forum, this. I'm working on a website covering all London's invertebrate species and giving named credit for each ID... what shall I put you down as?

Last edited by Jason G (2009-06-24 00:05:59)

#4 2009-06-24 12:39:36

malcolmsmart
Committee
Name: Malcolm Smart

You can put me down as Malcolm Smart. However I caution you about putting named pictures on a website unless you are absolutely certain of the identification. Most Diptera cannot be unambiguously identified from photographs and so you run the risk of misleading your audience. Some people like me do risk giving  firm identifications in cases where there is little ambiguity (as in the case of the Solva marginata above) but even in that case there is a similar (rare) species, Solva varia, which I have eliminated purely on the basis of the shorter antennae visible in the picture.

Somewhere elsr on this forum is a thread about how can we be sure that what we see on the web is correctly named??!!!!!!!!!
Regards
Malcolm

#5 2009-06-24 13:34:25

Jason G
Website

Couldn't agree more. I have a stack of diptera images on my computer that I couldn't name, and even more so ichneumon wasps. I'll put them on the website only naming those that are obvious, then if anyone can name or deny others then I will change them accordingly.

Last edited by Jason G (2009-06-24 13:42:30)

Board footer