pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-23 22:55:41

Geoff F
DF Members
Name: Geoff Foale

Is this Rhypholophus varius ?

South Devon, today, damp site with some woodland

The keys appear to take me to Rhypholophus but that is a new family for me so I'm getting confused.

Uploaded Images

#2 2017-08-24 10:27:43

johnkramer
DF Members
Name: John Kramer

Re: Is this Rhypholophus varius ?

Hello Geoff.  Well, it could be Rhypholopus.  It is brown and there could be brown hairs on the wing.  Vein A2 could be extended along the back edge of the wing, but the wing curls over so it is not visible.  I find the species of Rhyphol. harder to sort out, especially R. haemorhoidalis.  The key uses the pattern on the front end of the thorax, but I always use the male genitalia to check.  This specimen looks like a female.  So, it could be R. varius.  It helps if you have a specimen of Ormosia to compare it with,  and a male would enable certain ID.  I find that R. varius is a fairly common Autumn woodland species.
John K

#3 2017-08-24 21:54:54

Geoff F
DF Members
Name: Geoff Foale

Re: Is this Rhypholophus varius ?

Thanks for your help.

This was one of those cases where I came across it in a rather accessible position; I had my camera set up, looking to photograph other things, while the net was folded away in my backpack. So I thought an imperfect camera angle was a better bet that eventually missing it altogether with my net.

I had particularly been confused by the A2 vein and had tried comparing it with an Ormosia which tended to make me lean towards Rhypholopus but without any real confidence.

Board footer