pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-26 21:54:57

PeterFSNU
DF Members
Name: Array Array

Camera choice.

Hello
Quite simply WHICH camera?  Say a budget of £250.  I would like to get an idea of what would be a good starting point for digital photography for Diptera.

#2 2018-05-27 00:24:34

conopid
DF Members
Name: Nigel Jones
Website

Re: Camera choice.

Olympus TG5 has in built stacking software and gives good results. Probably more like £350, but probably worth it. That's certainly what I am thinking of buying.

Nigel Jones
Shropshire

#3 2018-05-27 11:08:27

Rainieria
Committee
Name: Darwyn Sumner
Website

The TG5 did feature a lot in the last Bulletin. I finished up persuading myself to buy one.
So far I'm finding that the working distance is pretty close and the risk of scaring off your subject is considerable. The focus stacking system is also very susceptible to movement. Nonetheless I'm getting some decent images.
Anything more elaborate is going to be more expensive. Take a look at what others are using, try Steve Falk's or Nikola Rahme's Flickr sites. If you see any other images that look good anywhere, download it and take a peek at the metadata, in many cases it'll still have the name of the camera brand used.
I'm hoping for a Forum section dedicated to photography on the new Dipterists Forum website where users can discuss their systems, but that seems a little way off yet.
Most of the camera manufacturers turn up at the Rutland Water Birdfair in August if you want to look at various systems - and most high street camera shops have the TG5 in stock.

Darwyn Sumner
DF Bulletin Editor, Scheme Organiser: Stilt & Stalk Flies

#4 2018-05-28 00:27:50

Andrew Cunningham
DF Members
Name: Andrew Cunningham

I have the TG-4 and love it but do not rate it for field photography. During holidays and such it proves to be a good general purpose camera in conjunction with software such as Photomatix and ICE but trying to get close up images of live insects is hit and miss.

The strength in this camera is in photographing pinned or staged specimens at home using the 30 frame focus bracketing function prior to stacking selected images on Zerene Stacker or whatever you like to use.

Regards,
Andrew.

Edit : Added an example image.

Uploaded Images

Last edited by Andrew Cunningham (2018-05-28 00:33:33)

#5 2018-05-31 18:39:08

PeterFSNU
DF Members
Name: Array Array

Thank you Nigel Darwin and Andrew for your comments.   I will look intro this , I am not in a hurry.  Rutland is a bit far off for me as I am in Cornwall but will note the venue for future reference.

Again Many thanks

Peter

Board footer