pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-11 13:23:21

AdamE
Name: Array Array

Identification of house fly

Hello all, I discovered this forum yesterday after spending an hour searching the internet on a hunt to identify a specific housefly. It's probably easier if I give you a little run down of my situation and hope maybe someone can help.

I moved into my house in May 2010 and since this time every summer we get a huge number of flies coming into the house. Even if the windows are opened for 5 minutes then you would find 10+ flies circling the lights. Thinking back to when we first moved in I remember the previous owner had velcro running all around the outside of her windows which she obviously fixed some netting too in order to stop the flies coming in. The problem has clearly been going on for some time but recently it has started to get out of control. I currently live on an end of terrace house with 5 sets of neighbours. On the opposing side of the terrace, we have a gentleman who has lived there for 20+ years and he keeps a large number of racing pigeons.

I have recently received a letter signed by every neighbour directly blaming the guys pigeons as the reason for the influx of flies. I have not signed this letter as I wanted to do a little research first as I couldn't be 100% sure that his keeping of pigeons was the reason. I have since been on to the Local Environmental Health dept to ask for some help (to no avail). I have also spoken to neighbours near and far to our house and asked if they are suffering from the same problem. I have established that this problem is only happening around our home and neighbours 400 yards away do not have a problem. I acknowledge the other huge range of underlying problems that could result in an increase of flies and this is my concern with signing the letter.

Getting hold of one of these flies is not an issue and last night I attempted to try to identify the type we are getting in the house. Wish I had a macro lens to enable me to focus closer but obtaining any features is very difficult. So my question is this, does anyone know of a company where I could send one of these flies to be identified?

Any help or suggestions on this would be much appreciated.

Last edited by AdamE (2018-07-11 13:26:00)

#2 2018-07-11 13:31:38

conopid
DF Members
Name: Nigel Jones
Website

Re: Identification of house fly

Adam,
I've sent you an email about this

Nigel Jones
Shropshire

#3 2018-07-11 15:01:29

AdamE
Name: Array Array

Hello Nigel,

I have had a quick check on my emails and it shows an email from yourself but there is no information attached. Any chance you may be able to resend again.

Many Thanks,

Adam.

#4 2018-07-13 15:32:17

conopid
DF Members
Name: Nigel Jones
Website

Adam,
I have resent. If it does not work again, contact me at nipajones[at]talktalk.net

insert @ instead of [at] - I'm trying to avoid spambots picking up my address

Nigel

Nigel Jones
Shropshire

Board footer