pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-06 15:06:42

Gateside
DF Members
Name: Nigel Gilligan

Tachinid? Siphona species maybe?

At the first sighting of this medium-sized (at best) fly, I thought of Muscid,  Helina species.  But I now see it has the wrong venation.

I am now thinking it's a somewhat atypical Tachniid (at least to my mind), on the lines of Siphona species.
If it is that, then it's not likely to be identifiable without the fly (which I haven't got).

But it would be useful to check if it's that, rather than simply give up.

Nigel G.

Uploaded Images

#2 2018-10-06 18:03:45

pbrighto
DF Members
Name: Phil Brighton

Re: Tachinid? Siphona species maybe?

Siphona has a long folding proboscis which is rather unusual in Tachinidae.  When not in use probing flowers for nectar, it folds up and projects in the front as I think I can see on one of the photos.  I found the common Siphona geniculata a lot in the past 2 or 3 months - one of the most frequent flies on the fleabane in our garden.  Belshaw says the host is Tipula paludosa, and there has been plenty of those as well, despite the drought.

#3 2018-10-06 19:18:27

Gateside
DF Members
Name: Nigel Gilligan

Re: Tachinid? Siphona species maybe?

Yes, I can see what looks like a significant proboscis which has something tucked under, so likely that is correct. (I never noticed!).  I'm not sure if T. paludosa is that common this year, but I've certainly seen it at least once on that site this year.

I take some comfort from the fact that I was in the right ball-park, because the last time I got something like this, I went all round the houses, and came up with the wrong answer anyway.

Thanks Phil..

Nigel

Board footer